In 1735, the Marquis Carlo Ginori, driven by an interest in the advent of European production of 'White Gold’ as porcelain was known at the time, founds his porcelain manufactory in the town of Doccia in Sesto Fiorentino, near Florence in Tuscany. The Manufactory of Doccia, as it was originally known, remains on this site until 1955.
An era that gives birth to some of Richard Ginori’s best known forms and decorations. Combined with elegant centrepieces, they dress many a famous banquet in important palazzos and villas. The woven pattern is introduced, still a must have in the collection today. The dawn of the nineteenth century brings with it new technologies and gold decorative solutions to fuel the taste for luxury.
The arrival of the international expositions and the fashion for naturalistic taste offers the Manufactory the opportunity to open up to Romanticism. Precious insects nestling among floral elements animate tableware, meanwhile the academic sculptor Urbano Lucchesi brings themes of theatrical literature, fantasy objects and the Macchiaioli school of painting into the Manufactory.
Known now as the Manufacture Richard Ginori, a major expansion in artistic and industrial manufacturing activities lead to the successful development of two innovative patents: the oven-proof Pirofilia,(about 1897-1898) and developed expressly for scientific laboratories, Euclide porcelain (around 1940).
The architect and designer Giò Ponti is appointed as art director, and the Manufactory brings to the European scene new decorative designs in line with the styles of the era.
Richard Ginori interprets the new functionality of the everyday life style. Colonna, with its stackable and essential design is introduced under the artistic direction of Giovanni Gariboldi.
As tastes and lifestyles evolve, the Manufactory turns to the creative talents of the great Italian architects and designers of the time: Franco Albini, Franca Helg & Antonio Piva, Sergio Asti, Achille Castiglioni, Gabriele Devecchi, Candido Fior, Gianfranco Frattini, Angelo Mangiarotti, Enzo Mari and Aldo Rossi.
The renaissance of the Manufactory Richard Ginori begins. The Manufactory is acquired by Gucci and Alessandro Michele is appointed artistic director. Today, just as 280 years ago, it represents excellence in creativity, innovation and hand made in Italy.